BSC Testing and Certification
TSS offers comprehensive testing, certification and maintenance of biological safety cabinets. Our skilled technicians are authorized to perform warranty repairs for all major equipment manufacturers. All biosafety cabinet testing is performed in accordance with established TSS SOPs, which are updated to remain compliant with federal and international safety guidelines, current good manufacturing practices [cGMPs], and our own ISO 9001 certified quality system.
Biological safety cabinets [BSCs] are field tested in accordance with NSF/ANSI 49, OSHA, NIH/CDC, and the manufacturer's specifications.
Primary tests performed include:
- Inflow velocity measurements – ensures proper inflow is maintained for operator protection from product
- Downflow velocity measurements – documents the air in the work area is unidirectional and functioning as designed, preventing cross contamination, and providing product protection from the environment
- HEPA filter integrity testing – documents leakage or defects and ensures HEPA filters provide required filtration to prevent both product and environmental contamination
- Smoke pattern testing – qualitatively verifies airflow directions using a small source of visible fog
- Site installation testing and alarm calibration – confirms alarm performance and assesses installation of units for NSF and OSHA compliance
Optional tests include:
- Non-viable particle counting – performed in accordance with ISO 14644-1 or EC Annex 1, required for ISO 14644 classification, and provides a semi-quantitative evaluation of air quality in terms of particulate in the work area
- Electrical safety testing – ensures the unit is electrically grounded, limiting the shock risk to end users
- Fluorescent light testing – ensures fluorescent lighting levels are sufficient to prevent operator fatigue
- UV light testing – ensures the UV light operates adequately and provides UVC output for proper exposure calculation
- Pressure decay and cabinet integrity testing – establishes structural integrity and confirms contamination cannot escape through welds, joints or panels
- Vibration testing – ensures product is not subject to damage due to vibration and may be performed in association with troubleshooting
- Sound testing - verifies hood operation/usage will not contribute to worker fatigue/stress and may be performed in association with troubleshooting
- Airflow visualization studies – provides a qualitative identification of appropriate work zones and identifies techniques that could lead to contamination risk
The routine certification of your biosafety cabinet is vital to the safety of your laboratory technicians as well as the validity of your research. TSS maintains the largest and most experienced staff of NSF Accredited service technicians in the United States.
When it comes to choosing a biosafety cabinet testing company, Technical Safety Services is the clear choice and just one call puts you in touch with the TSS regional office nearest you. Call 800-877-7742 to schedule services or contact TSS online for more information.
With every service call, TSS offers you
- responsive service to minimize downtime
- customized documentation and technical writing services
- online access to your equipment inventory and certification
- the assurance of an ISO 9001 certified quality system